Saturday, August 1, 2015

"The It's Okay If You Sit On My Quilt Book" Review/adoration.


This is my favorite quilt book of all time.


 It is also one of my earliest additions to my collection of quilt publications and probably, ok most definitely, taught me more about quilting and how to breakdown designs than any other book I've ever seen.
Ms Hopkins, through her book, was vital to my quilting journey and I would put her book in my top-5-reasons-I-still-quilt list.

I adore Ms. Hopkins attitude towards quilts, quilting and math. They really helped get me into the "I-can-do-this" mindset that was helpful when I started designing my own quilts, and sometimes even just interpreting others patterns. It also has LOTS of ideas for using up HSTs in blocks etc, which is a wonderful thing for me because I really do love them.

I got this book long before EQ came into my life, and I still sometimes page through it just for fun or inspiration or the simple reminder to look at things differently to figure out the simplest way to create something beautiful.

 I don't know how many of the blocks in this book I've created over the years, many will have shown up elsewhere as well, but I do know I see quilts, patterns, and things in general differently after reading, or re-reading, this great beginners quilt book. And it is great for beginners, which is what I was when I first got this book. But even if you have been quilting forever you can always pick up something new, and there are a LOT of great blocks, how to see connector blocks, and several pattern layouts that you can then figure out from the information in the book. It's a workbook more so than a pattern book.



This pretty came out of taking a block and either taking it off point or putting it on (I'm really not sure which it would be!!) and adding borders, changing colour values etc.
I really enjoy Spa by Deb Strain, and have chopped up a layer cake and some yardage, so am hoping to eventually make this as big as I can. It's going to be a medallion with this as the center.

I know it's still available in a few different places online, or if you check around maybe your local guild, library or fellow quilt lover may have a copy.

It's worth a look. Especially if you ever wonder how do you do that? For most of the basic construction and deconstruction of patterns and quilts.

The lovely Mary Ellen Hopskins died in 2013 at the age of 89 so unfortunately her collection of, I think, 10 books are all that we'll see. I do recommend checking them out.

 

1 comment:

Karee said...

What a lovely tribute to a marvelous teacher and author. I, too, treasure that book.