Saturday, April 26, 2008

Wall Hanging

So up until about 2 hours ago I still had a snowman wreath on my apartment door. As it is now officaly spring, and flowers are actually bloomimg, I decided I had to change it. I didn't want another wreath, I just haven't liked any I've seen.
So I dug through my small flimsies and got out my Urban Indigo star, familiar from my header.
I quilted it and it looked ok. It wasn't pieced the best because I was just making up the design as I went so didn't really plan well.






So not too bad right?
Well then came my nemisis. The binding. I hate binding. I am not good at it. I can't hand sew because my fingers cramp after about 12 stiches.
So what in blue hell (does anyone know where this saying came from?) made me think I could attach attractive binding to a quilt with 8 points and 8 indents? Yeah this was dumb. A perfectly decent wall hanging is destroyed by my binding. I don't really want to show anyone but I will.




Ok not too bad?
Wait until you see the back. Its bad, really bad. But I was at a point that I really didn't care.
I mean who is going to see it, right? It's against a door.



So out on the door it went. It'll keep people from thinking my door is the door to the garbage room. Which will keep my little puppies from barking up a storm and making me deaf.


My exams are done now and I don't start back until May 8th so I'm hoping to get a lot of sewing done. I want to try a few more paper pieced stars.

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Oh dear. I feel for you. I always make a mess of bindings when there are so many ins and outs like you show on your piece. I can do the straight forward corners, but those odd angles are another story.

chook said...

Hi Cara
I only just found your blog and you do some beautiful work !
I love your wallhanging I dont think I would be game enough to try a binding like that.
I will keep popping back to see what you are doing
hugs Beth