Tuesday, March 2, 2010

A frenemie!

Yes I have a frenemie, a friend who is also an enemy. This is a common relationship type among girls. And I think spawned the saying "with friends like that who needs enemies?"

 So who is this person? Well it's not a person. It's this!

 A nice sharp seam ripper. She's normally a friend, a bit boring but she'll help you out when you make an oopsy. Well this time she was a bit too sharp. I was trying to pull out some stitching from the binding and instead of cutting the thread she cut the binding!! I'm looking at what to do now. Do I just whip stitch it and hope for the best? Sew on another piece of binding and cover it up?
Any thoughts?

11 comments:

Sinta Renee said...

I never thought of it like that! Hmmm. So right!

Anonymous said...

What about some fray check and whip stitch? How bad was this enemy of yours?

Rene' said...

Love your frenemie story! Good luck on coming up with a solution. I have faith you will figure it out!

LJ said...

If it's a judged quilt for a competition, take it out. If it's a quilt you'll be keeping at home. Patch it up and smile at the memory of it. We do the best we can with our creativity. Sometimes there are accidents. Life isn't perfect. Don't fault the quilt for the flaws. There is still beauty in the finished quilt!

hetty said...

Oh! I hate it when that happens! I would sleep on it and take another look at it later. If you are making this quilt for a show or for someone else, I would take it out, but if it is for yourself, you might just want to leave it the way it is. You could always redo a piece of binding at a later date. I must admit, I usually redo oopsies like that. When I think of how long the quilt will last and how long it would take to fix it now, it seems like the thing to do.

Pokey said...

frustrating!

Red Geranium Cottage said...

HEY I have one like that too. Matter of fact, I have a few of those. lolol

Nicole said...

I would unsew the cut part of the binding, remove it, and attach a new section. What a bummer!

Sandie @ crazy'boutquilts said...

Oh what a naughty seam ripper! I like the dot of fray check idea if it isn't a big rip; otherwise I'd probably replace the piece. :-/ Sorry you had to rip in the first place. :-/

deb said...

Unfortunatly my frenemie will probably be around forever....lolol..cute post, thanks!

Carrie P. said...

You have been very busy. I just read the last 6 posts. Great schnibbles. Love your new fabrics too.