Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Baby Quilt!

My ex-BIL's new wife just had a baby and my sister suggested I make them a quilt! (also am I the only one who doesn't think the last sentence is somewhat strange?)

Since I've been playing around with the Sizzix Big Shot I decided to use one of their geometric dies, the bottle. This was a stretch for me as I don't do much curved piecing but with the die I felt comfortable that at least the cutting would be accurate so I only had to focus on the piecing. It took me less then an hour to cut out an entire layer cake of bottles, I got 4 from each square having cut the layer cake into strips first. I used Modern Workshop, which is a line from Moda from last year, or is it two now?

I really will do a more thorough review soon but again wanted to get this up. I miss my blog and have been so terribly remiss in posting lately that I'm trying to post more.

The bottle went together fairly easily, but slower then I like, and the baby decided to come early, or my sister's timing was off, so I went with fewer rows then I had planned, added the Moda Solids Chocolate brown to space it some and then did some raw edge applique of bottles end to end instead of side to side.
I cut the edges of the vertical bottles so they will rag and get softer as they wash. And, of course, I used Moda Snuggles on the back. It really is the only thing I back baby/kid quilts with. They all love it and it's just so cozy and easy to work with.
The quilt is 48", I forgot to actually measure it before packing it up. I could have made it larger, I still have 30 or 40 bottle pieces but I think it works nicely for a baby/toddler.

4 comments:

Alyce @ Blossom Heart Quilts said...

Aw, that's a lovely quilt!! And yes, I did have to re-read that first sentence a couple of times to get it in my head properly, lol!

KatieQ said...

This quilt is great. I love the way it doesn't shout, "Baby!" I've never seen a quilt made with the bottle shape before. I don't like to piece curves so I can appreciate the work that went into it.

Tasha said...

Awww, such a nice quilt for Rumi. She will love it, as will the proud parents.

Anonymous said...

I make quilts for anyone and I think it is great you do too!