Friday, October 12, 2012

Diamond Hexie Quilt

I'm going teach a class at Cornerstone Quilts on epp using this as my example! Just need to knife edge bind it and it will go hang up in the shop to get some people interested!
When I know the exact details on the class I will let you all know. I'm also going to be teaching Twilight, and how to make my quilted wraps, which are back in my etsy shop!

I hand sewed the hexies together using Aurifil 50 wt thread, it worked beautifully. I also hand quilted all but the white areas. I used a combination of Aurifil 50 wt, 40 wt, and Lana wool 12 wt,  and each one worked wonderfully. I had very little twisting and knotting, almost not breakage and I didn't even have to use thread wax!
The white areas I machine quilted with the Aurifil 50wt on my frame.

I'm really happy I was able to hand quilt most of this one, but I can definitely say I will never be a hand quilter. I really do enjoy machine quilting, especially on the frame, much more. Hand sewing I can enjoy but the hand quilting itself wasn't relaxing for me.

2 comments:

sandra said...

Hi Cara Love your quilt and would love to take your class and learn to make those hexies. I live too far away and I babysit my grandson three days a week and with the FM that takes all of my energy. Have fun, I use to love hand quilting but not any more. Take care Sandra

Patricia Lessell said...

Oh boy this is just too gorgeous for words.