Tuesday, February 22, 2011

The Basics Charity Challenge a bit more

The actual challenge can be found here. Please leave comments here for the prize entries. Please note the Challenge has been extended one week to March 7th, and so many more prizes have been added.

 When I started this Challenge I was hoping to help some people. I was concerned and passionate but it has grown beyond my original idea and has snared me in even deeper.

I have received an immense amount of email from people. People donating more prizes, telling me stories- their own, their families- and I have been so incredibly touched.
I am not someone special. I do not have 1000s of followers yet this challenge has made me feel so connected to so many people.

The one thing that has come out over and over is that it could so easily have been any number of us if not for some turn of luck, or chance. Maybe we had family to run to, maybe we saw the signs early enough, whatever the reason it is but by grace that it wasn't us. And for some it was.

The strength it takes to leave an abusive relationship is immense. It takes courage and conviction and so often that comes from the knowledge that we must protect our children.

 This is email just arrived today and I had to share.
This is why we need these shelters and why we need to make sure they are able to support and safe guard our sisters and their children.


Cara,

I think it is wonderful that you have organized this challenge. God bless you for bringing more awareness to domestic violence.

I am a fellow quilter who lives in Virginia. Last Thursday morning, I had a doctor's appointment. Afterwards, I drove to a nearby Chick-fil-a for a chicken biscuit. As I pulled into the drive-thru, I heard popping sounds. I looked up and saw a man running through the parking lot shooting. I immediately backed up and drove to a nearby spot and called 911.

This man shot and killed his estranged wife as she sat in her car in the drive-thru. They had been separated for a year. She had a restraining order against him for previous acts of domestic violence. Their three daughters now have neither parent.

It took me a couple of days to shake it off. I am lucky that I also have a husband who would do anything to keep me safe and sound.

Thank again,

Donna Kirk

http://www2.insidenova.com/news/2011/feb/17/21/one-shot-dead-woodbridge-chick-fil-ar-850060/
http://www2.insidenova.com/news/2011/feb/17/court-records-woodbridge-shooting-victim-lived-con-ar-851090/
 And I have to say as sad as this is, it is not the worst of what I have read in the last 2 weeks. I have been brought to tears many times. And that is ok. To bear witness to suffering can sometimes be all we can do, but it can also be very helpful to those experiencing it.

Please keep giving, whether it is time, money, materials, thoughts/prayers or of course the basics. Make sure that women have a place to go to be safe. And say thanks because you are not one of them.
And if you are, reach out. There is help. Even if you have to disappear there are people out there who can help.

8 comments:

harleywife57/ Mickey White said...

Cara : God is AMAZING and He sure is working through you and your blog-friends !! This is so wonderful ; what you are doing . And I think you have touched us by stating the obvious , people need our help . There are SO MANY bad things going on , people acting bad to others , abusing family members , taking financial advantage of elderly relatives . and on and on and on . It cheers my heart to be part of this ; even though I only made a cash donation , you have made me realize how important my little act is ; I thank God for that ! and for my life .........

Melody said...

When you first posted the challenge I remembered a volunteer group near my work that takes in abused women and their kids but they've also helped us at the hospital by taking in homeless patients who have no insurance, no family, no resources and need some time off the streets for recovery. I made my second delivery of stuff today. And talked to them this time about volunteering in some capacity. I love my quilting but it feels good to get out and do something for someone else. Thanks again.

Jennifer said...

I have the baby wipes for the shelter near me in my car...now just need to find the time to call them and make arrangements to drop them off - it is a great thing you've started!

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for challenging all of us. I did a little post on my blog. As a result of your challenge, I contacted the local shelter in our area to see what they need most. Thanks again.
Teresa

Anonymous said...

Cara...I was so moved by your post. I am praising God that so many have been inspired to give in so many ways. I hope and pray that this will be something that goes on and on, and that it becomes an integral part of our lives. Each little thing we do can help someone!
Jacque in SC
quiltnsrep(at)yahoo(dot)com

Vivika said...

Hi Cara,
Another moving post... I have linked back to your blog and added a giveaway of my own for people who take charge and make a difference in our world. Pay it forward. Do good things. Teach your children well. We all can make a difference. These are words I live by, and hope to teach my children. Thank you for the reminder, and I hope that the outreach you began grows like a wild fire throughout our little internet world and continues to inspire others.

Vivika vdenegrequilts.blogspot.com

Alison said...

We have a charity sewing day once a month. We donate pillowcases each month to local shelters. We have donated over 1000 pillow cases since we started Jan 2010.

Donna Ashworth said...

Hi Cara,

I think this is a great idea that you are promoting to help others. I do charity quilts which are donated to our local women's shelter for the women and children that stay there during their time of need.

It really does make your heart feel good when you do things to help others, no matter how big or small.

Donna Ashworth