Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Crafting is happening!

I know it doesn't seem like it but I really have been sewing! I have several projects in the not sure where are going, but can't show pile.
I got tired of them for a bit, I hate not being able to show things here! My blog is terribly neglected, yet it is the heart of my online quilting. So I really am trying to remember to get back here. I have lots to show and tell. I'm just not always able to, especially since my health hasn't been very good lately.

But enough whining.

Little Bit received TWO Maplelea dolls for Christmas, which are the Canadian version of the American Girl Doll. She has been obsessed with them since she received a catalogue with one of her kid's magazine subscriptions. Which still p's me off, but that's a rant for later.
Long and short is she had to get at least one for Christmas or things would have been very unpleasant around here. And before you think I'm exagerating or spoiling her, even my mother agreed that her fixation on them was extreme enough that it warranted at least one of these $100 dolls. And as much as grandma loves to spoil her, she's not one to have EVER bought such an expensive play doll.
Ok so not so short, continuing, Little Bit is in LOVE with them, especially the brunette, Taryn, who goes with her everywhere.
Little Bit decided her dolls needed nighties. So I was recruited to make them. Thing is I make quilts, not clothes.
But as I really did want something else to work on I found a pattern, pulled some stash fabrics and made these up!


I'm really happy with how they turned out. They are far from perfect, but I learned a lot, Little Bit is thrilled with them, and I think I may have enough confidence to try something more elaborate later on, like Mod Kid's Naomi pattern.

Oh and did I mention they apparently need quilts now?

6 comments:

Nancy said...

ROTFLMAO!! Because I am just finishing making clothes for my granddaughters Our Generation doll which is the low priced equivalent of the American Girl. Target carries them... I also made a sleeping bag!! and Pillow!! The sleeping bag was easy peasy..and just used two fabrics, fleece and cotton...maybe you should do that instead of quilts? You can find the measurements here...http://www.lovebugliving.com/2011/12/american-girl-doll-sleeping-bag.html

kinter said...

Oh, of course they would need quilts now! Who is her mama?! I have made a few doll clothes for my oldest's American Girl dolls, too!

Jennifer said...

I am in the same boat as you are - just finished my first doll dress and realized that I was not cut out to make clothing at all! And the first thing my daughter said (after thank you) was "now can you make one for her sister?" Oh my...

Barb said...

what fun, I love the outfits...

Delores said...

Can't wait till my granddaughter is old enough for one of the Canadiana dolls! She got a similar one for this Xmas, but she is only five and I think she needs to be older. What do you think is the best age??

I LOVE sewing doll clothes and of course, matching quilts!

Dawn said...

Well, of course they need quilts! lol What upstanding doll wouldn't? At least thatbis right up your alley. :)By the waybthe jammies are cute. You did good!