Saturday, June 30, 2012

Book Review - Hexa Go-Go

  I'm super lucky to have the opportunity to do some book reviews for C&T Publishing, including Stash Books.
One of the books is Hexa Go-Go by Tacha Bruecher, one of the geniuses behind Fat Quarterly.


Since I'm doing the MFHexie Quilt Along with Katy, also behind Fat Quarterly, this book is perfect timing!

Hexa Go-Go is all about English Paper Piecing (EPP) and has 16 different patterns that use hexagons, in all different settings.


Tacha does a really good job explaining how to make hexies, and gives different methods, for making, basting and stitching together the hexies, depending on the project and your personal preference.

One of the things I really have found in quilting in general is that there are a lot of "right" ways of doing things. Which one is right for you depends on a lot of different variables. Tacha understands that and gives instructions that everyone should be able to understand and work into their own style.



Not surprisingly the book has some serious eye candy! Both Fat Quarterly and Stash Books have a real flair for capturing the feel of quilts and projects and not just the physical dimensions.

  Tacha does a great job taking what is a very traditional shape and making it into very modern designs.
This isn't Grandmother's Flower Garden!
Between the fabrics, the arrangement of the hexagons, and the addition of other elements, hexagons leave the 1930s and come blasting into the 21st century!

Hexa-Go-Go  Hexies are a great stash buster and all of the projects in Hexa-Go-Go can be made mostly from scraps, or from precuts or yardage. Whatever the look you prefer you can make it with these projects. From placemats to full bed quilts there is something for everyone, whether you just want to dip your toe into the EPP pond or if you're a full blown hexie addict.

   With this book available there is no reason for anyone to say they can't make a hexie project, on the "go-go"!

6 comments:

Lucky Duck Dreams said...

I love the variety of the layouts and the use of color!

http://thankfullga447 said...

I love making hexies, it is so relaxing.

www.randomthoughtsdoordi.com said...

I am fortunate to have met Tacha last week and she gifted me with her fabulous book. I can wait to try some projects from this book.

CarolT said...

I am going to buy this book soon. I am getting the bug for english paper piecing this summer.

sandra said...

I have been really wanting to do hexies but just haven't found the right pattern and now I think I may be able to find one in this book.

Jodi - usairdoll said...

Thanks for introducing this book. I love hexies and have one project going. I'd love to see more of the book and maybe start another project. hehe.