Thursday, October 22, 2015

Fast Hexies

 Hi I'm Cara from CaraQuilts and I really like hexies and mini charms.
 I've collected a lot of mini charm packs and wanted to be able to see some of my favorite lines so I created these hexie mini quilts.

Requirements

 1 mini charm pack
 2 sheets water soluble paper (I use C&T Publishing's Wash-Away Applique Sheets)
 1 water soluble glue stick
 12x12" fusible batting (I use Pellon)
 12x12" backing
 Coordinating thread for top stitching

To start



We need to cut out 42 1" hexies from the water soluble paper.

Use a dab of glue to place the hexagon paper in the middle of each mini charm square.
Another swipe of glue and fold down the fabric to the paper.


Repeat going all the way around the hexagon.


 Repeat for all 42 from the mini charms.


The original one I made I fused each individual hexie. The second time round I stitched them into rows first and I found it easier to fuse them with less risk to my fingers so I suggest first laying out your hexies so you know you like the colour placement etc. and stitching them into 7 rows of 6 using a small zig zag stitch in a coordinating thread.


Lay your first row near to touching the edge and follow the directions for the fusible batting (if using regular batting pin down).  Place the next row right up against the first and fuse. If you have tails from stitching the rows together just tuck them under the row about to be fused.
It's a bit like piecing a puzzle only here forcing the issue is just fine. Continue until you have fused each row.


 Lay the batting and top piece onto your backing and gently press. This normally keeps the quilt sandwich together without needing to pin on such a small piece.
 Using the same thread zig zag the rows together, stopping with the needle down and turning with each point.
 Once your rows are stitched down press the entire piece.

Lay a ruler across the edge of the quilt and trim to a straight edge.


Bind and enjoy!




No comments: